5/17/13

Field Work

I spend a lot of time indoors painting from photographs and memory. Its how I like to work but after so much time in my studio, removed from actual landscapes and actual seascapes its crucial to get outside. I love the rapid transitions that come with spring and the warmer weather means more opportunities to paint outdoors.

I consider these paintings I do outdoors as something quite separate from what I do in the studio. The agenda outdoors is very different than the studio with an emphasis on the experience. I like to find weird spaces that offer different sounds and textures and to put myself in front of changing weather.   And with all the talk about experience I do really enjoy the product. They're often organic, raw, messy things that exist as a record or translation of a moment in time. What else is there really?  

I want to write more on outdoor painting, but I would love to hear some thoughts from others after all this is the kind of craft that comes with lots of shop talk about tools and methods etc so lets talk and trade. 

  


2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with what you said.. I wish I could work outdoors :D
    Actually, one of my goals for this year was to start painting outside, but I've got so use to painting on the computer, that I wouldn't even know how to start.
    I'd love to see the kind of set up you've got in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goal. Outdoor painting is hard enough as it is so I think its really important to make it as easy for your self as possible. A litle equipment as possible so you can run out the door when the mood strikes. I usually only take three brushes and paint no larger than 8x8, 8x10 and most importantly I have an easel that is compact and requires zero set up. I'll put together a whole post outlining everything I use with links but in the meantime you can vist pochade.com where I bought this pochade box 11 years ago! Can't wait to see your paintings. You're an incredible draftsman so I can only imagine what your outdoor paintings will look like.

    ReplyDelete